Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Almost All-White Aidilfitri

So here's the deal - the White Deal...

I can still remember... The White bits of my Raya 7 years ago were just as eventful as the Royal Blue bits. Maybe more because this year, I made an attempt to visit at least one of my father's siblings. And I did manage with one sister. My father's first younger sister, Makcik Norli, whom I called Cik Nurse during my younger days coz... uh... Well, she IS a nurse. Anyway, will attempt with more of my father's siblings next year, InsyaAllah. Makcik Norli and her husband, Pakcik Adam were pleasantly surprised to see us at their front door and welcomed us wholeheartedly into their home, the home that used to belong to my late grandparents. I got a little sentimental there when I saw the nooks and crannies I used to squeeze in, the balcony I used to hide in when I didn't want to see a particular aunty and the bedroom my grandparents used to sleep it. Oh well... Good old memories... :)

See, I'm soooooo close to my mother's side of the family but not so much my father's. It did happened, you know, these kind of family arrangements. It also didn't help that one of the spouses married to one of my father's siblings kept putting me down to put her son up high when we were growing up. Like how her son pandai belajar, pandai hormat orang tua, pandai this and pandai that. Such a little guy, such an angel. And I'm the smelly little retarded, lazy relative, perhaps, in her eyes. Hmm... Well, we're all grown up now, doing our own thing and no, I don't think any of us are doing better or worse than the other now... We're all just living our own lives. Different lives. And then, I'm sure some people are still comparing, no?

*sigh*

One thing's for sure.... I'll painfully bear this in mind when I get older and become a bonafide Bapak Budak and Pakcik... that dissing other people's kids is just not the right way to go. No matter how fantastic your own kid is. Even if your own kid is a Rocket Scientist in NASA and the other kid is just a little booger.

Anyway, Raihan digress emotion overload. Sorry. Okay... Other than that, in our whites, we managed to visit other lovelies, livening the Raya spirit and helping to finish the Raya food. And I didn't stain my baju one bit! Mighty proud of myself. After all, I'm the kind who gets stains on a black shirt, gets curry dried on my shirt without knowing and mud on my Pradas while walking on a clean pavement. Not macho at all!

Speaking of macho.... Arina and I almost ran away with a pretty baby we met on one of our visits. To us, she was absolutely gorgeous, to many people who were there, she looked like she was OUR baby but to her real parents, she was their precious SEVENTH child. Yes, seventh! Little Shafiah belongs to my aunty Mak Yong's colleague, Uncle Salim. Yes, Uncle Salim and his wife, with their eldest child at 21, had little Shafiah just seven months ago. Ni baru dikatakan POWER!! Hahaha...

And again, you shall see... Kita banyak pinjam anak orang in our visits. Hehehe...

And no, I'm NOT broody. Nor am I in denial. Huh! *sigh*

Alright since we are gonna celebrating our Aidilfitri tomorrow, I hereby wish all my friends a Selamat Hati Raya Aidilfitri Maaf Zahir Batin. And I ask for your forgiveness for whatever mistakes I may have done and for whatever shortcoming this blog may have that do not meet your expectations. Please drive carefully, stay cool, and have fun with your loved ones wherever you are celebrating this Aidilfitri. May Allah bless us all and grant us His forgiveness for all the sins we have committed. May Allah also grant us all another opportunity for us to perform our prayers and ibadah in the blessed month of another Ramadhan next year. Have a blast Aidilfitri!